Be the one others turn to. Be responsible. Be trusted with the safety of the nation. Become a British Army Officer, and you’ll be doing something that really matters. Leading a team. Making a difference to the world.
It all starts at the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst. You’ll learn the skills you need to become an Officer – from weapons handling to outdoor survival – to what it takes to lead your team in a range of hostile situations, anywhere in the world.
Once you’ve commissioned, you’ll begin the specialist training you need to be an expert in your chosen field, whether that’s engineering, intelligence gathering, or piloting an Apache helicopter. Then you’ll take charge of 30 soldiers. You could also take part in Adventurous Training around the world, from skiing in the Alps to white-water rafting in Colorado. All while you’re earning a starting salary of around £32,800 (after training).
You’ll also enjoy a wide range of benefits that come with Army life, from sports and state-of-the-art training facilities, to earning valuable professional qualifications. The rewards are exceptional, the challenge is incredible and there’s no single bigger adventure in life. To make a difference to the world. To make something more of yourself.
Find where you belong.
The Army Officer Internship is an opportunity to experience the role of an Army Officer for 6 to 18-months before, during or after University.
After 9 weeks of world class leadership training at the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst with further training afterwards, depending on your role, you will then spend 6 to 18 months attached to a regular Army unit. This will be in the UK and on routine duties around the world, shadowing the daily role of an Army Officer, learning to lead up to 30 soldiers. You will be paid throughout and take part in sports, adventurous training and military training exercises but you will not deploy on operations.
An Officer Internship offers unique and exceptional leadership training and experience, as well as an unrivalled insight into the life of an Army Officer. Once you have completed your internship, you can elect to remain in the Army, as a Reservist or regular Army Officer, or you can choose a completely different career path.
Who can apply?
Anyone entering their final year of school who is applying to go onto study a first degree at a UK university, anyone who is currently studying at a UK university and would like to undertake a placement year or anyone who has graduated within the last 2 years, can apply.
You should also:
- Be aged between 17 years 9 months and 28 years old by mid- September of the year you will start training at Sandhurst.
- Hold or be predicted to gain 72 UCAS points (or equivalent) and have 35 ALIS points, including a C/4 or above in English language, maths and a science or foreign language.
- Be physically fit.
- You must pass Army Officer Selection Board.
Skills you’ll gain:
- Learning how to overcome physical and mental challenges
- Developing your leadership qualities and gaining key management skills
You do not have to continue serving in the Army after your internship, but we do hope that you will. You will be qualified to continue to serve as an officer in the Army Reserve both during and after university; or you can complete the Regular Commissioning Course if you’d like to serve as a full-time Army Officer.
How to apply?
To apply, simply register for an account and fill out the online application form. This should only take a few minutes. Once you’re in the process, you’ll have plenty of support from our team.
Applications are ongoing. You would need to apply by 31st December to start an internship in the following September.
- Get trained in world-class leadership and management skills
- You can undertake the Internship as a gap year before university, as a placement year whilst studying or as an Internship two years after graduation
- You will be paid during your internship and get access to benefits such as Adventurous training, sport, and travel opportunities.
- You will get full exposure to the life of an Army Officer
- You could be placed anywhere in the world during your internship, wherever the unit you are attached to is operating.
- Once you have completed your internship, you can elect to remain in the Army, as a Reservist or regular Army Officer, or you can choose a completely different career path. If joining as a Regular Officer, you will return to the Royal Military Academy, Sandhurst for Regular officer training, or should you choose to stay as a Reserve Officer, no additional training would be required.